Our fundraising tips to plan a successful event
Successful fundraising activities are so important for any school, club or organisation. The key to a well-run event is careful planning and good communication. Follow our fundraising tips to help you reach your goal!
Put together a great team
The best teams have a variety of skill-sets to draw from. Make sure to get yourself a:
- Task master: an organised person who can keep everyone on track and ensure deadlines are met.
- People person: a natural networker who can rally support and send out short, friendly requests and reminders.
- Numbers person: an organised, trustworthy person who can keep track of the money coming in and going out.
Have a clear goal
Determine what you’re raising the money for and how much you need. This will help your planning team stay motivated and give you a clear goal to promote to potential sponsors and the community.
Set a budget
Your budget needs to take into account your fundraising goal and any expenses you’ll incur. Include things like venue hire, catering, printing, marketing and anything else you’ll need to hold a successful event. Sticking to your budget will help you keep a tight rein on costs and have a profitable fundraising event.
Sponsors can help cut event expenses, provide donations and publicise your event. Approach businesses that are local or connected to your community, likely to be supportive of your cause and can provide the resources you need. Have all the information sponsors will need to know prepared in advance and send it your prospects.
Tell people about your event
Use as many different ways as possible to get the word out about your event.
- Place posters and flyers in prominent locations around your community.
- Use social media to create an event page, post in community groups and write updates that supporters can share with family and friends.
- Write a press release for local newspapers and invite them to cover your event.
- Include your sponsors logos on posters and flyers and ask them to publicise your event in their store or office and on their social media.
Debrief to help your next fundraiser be even better!
The work doesn’t end once the event is over!
- Post an update on social media telling everyone how much money was raised.
- Send a card, note or email to thank your sponsors, contributors and volunteers.
- Compare your budget to your actual spend.
- Plan for an even better event next time by sending a short survey to participants and volunteers asking what worked well and what could be improved on.
Looking for fundraising activities?
Our candy floss and popcorn machines will make popular and delicious additions to your gala or fundraiser! We have everything you need including floss sugars and sticks, and popcorn kernels, flavour, bags and tubs. Contact us for cost breakdowns you can review and present to your planning committee.
Our giant games will add lots of fun and hilarity to your gala, fair, market or games night. Our range includes Connect Four, Get Knotted, Snakes and Ladders, Jenga and Pick Up Sticks.
On the practical side, we also have trestle tables, catering equipment, marquees and gazebos available to hire. Make sure to follow us on Facebook for ideas for your event.
We are a charity, school or club, can we have a discount?
Each year we choose one cause to support. If you would like to be considered for this year, please contact us.